Saturday, January 5, 2008

Grandpa, this snowfall was for you...

Unfortunately my children's grandfather, my dad Fred Bowen, (a handsome Clark Gable lookalike) is currently spending the rest of his time on this earth in a rest home. My dad was a firm believer in work- and lots of it. I remember growing up and doing chores that I thought were crazy - but those were never done without my dad next to me telling me not so much how to do it - but why I was doing it. I had the opportunity to to a taped interview with my dad before he lost the ability to speak. In the interview I asked him what he would like his grandchildren to learn from him. He said, of course, he wanted them to learn how to work hard. He said, "It builds character, it gives you peace, and it feels even better if you are working hard at doing a free service to someone." He wanted them to grow up and contribute to society through their hard work ethics. Today, I returned home from a spin class tired - but there was a lot of beautiful snow that had fallen while I was away. I started right up shoveling. Pretty soon I noticed that Ashley (who was at the workout with me and was waiting for the next workout to start), and Ryan (also with a long task list for the day) never the less were soon shoveling with me. We all started venturing off into the neighborhood - and just for fun shoveled walks where we knew that they had a snow blower! We all met up at the last house and finished it off before heading in for hot chocolate (and buttered toast!). There is no doubt in my mind that if Mandy and Matt were there - they would have been right beside me shoveling also. I thought that at that moment of watching my rosy cheeked children putting away the shovels with smiles and a look of sneaky satisfaction - that I wanted to let my dad (who is laying there with no ability to use his legs anymore....) know that "This snowfall was for you...." I love you dad! Gotta go to work now...

1 comment:

Mandy | Baking with Blondie said...

I love you so much Mom. Thanks for this post - It made me cry!