Should I wear the white shirt or the white shirt today?
Well as you can see by my countdown I have 1 more day left with Ryan before he leaves for his mission. Today I had the honor of doing one last act of love for him. Each shirt has a bucket of tears on it and thousands of kisses tucked inside his pockets. How excited I am for him, how amazing he will be. Yesterday was a difficult day - one of tears and fears - Del and I had to keep busy - and well - we ended up at Crown Burger (eeww) crying over Onion Rings. (Future post will include the definition of empty nest). As I look at my son I just know that he is ready for all of this. There is no apprehension in is countenance at all and because of that he will put himself to work right away. As I ironed his shirts today - a task he has done for himself for years but allowed me to have a moment - I can't wait for the places they will go. How he will stand out in a crowd, how he will hold others hearts in his over the next two years, and how amazing his smile will be as he serves the Lord in them. Just when you thought this was going to be a sappy emotional post I am now going to ruin it. (Humor is a survival tactic right now....) SO - he was required to have 12 shirts, 6 long sleeve and 6 short sleeve. 12 beautiful crisp white shirts. With his wardrobe preplanned for him for the next 2 years I have a great suggestion. I encouraged him to name his shirts after the 12 apostles! So on Tuesdays, he'll be wearing Hales, and on Wednesday he could choose between Oaks and Ballard, on really tough days he could be Packard. (Oh, my, you should have seen the look on his face when I suggested this! (Mandy and Lee Lee will laugh)) (Wait -he'll only be able to wear 11 shirts until we get a new apostle and then he can button it up!) Ok - stand back and let the lightening bolts hit! Desperately reaching for something today to just survive today - wish this blog could be seen without the tears in my eyes today. Thursday is even worse, I lose my son, daughter in law, and grandson to Washington for heaven knows how long - please pass the Kleenexes - life's to too big for me today.
3 comments:
This is your favorite 6th grade teacher from Willow Canyon! :) I got the goosebumps reading your post as you talked about the places the shirts will go! I then got a good laugh at you naming his shirts. It's one of those things that if you don't laugh you will cry! There will be tough days and good days the next two years! Have you seen the book "Mommy do I have to Serve a Mission?" If not I'll have to give it to you to read! It's a great picture book! My brother made my mom read it to him the night before he left for the MTC.
Here's a thought...
After hearing Ryan speak on Sunday, you KNOW he is ready to go and serve. Perhaps he's even a little anxious to get on his way, and away from his sappy ma and pa. OK, only kidding. And you're not losing him forever - the time will go fast as you read each and every letter from him and rejoice in his happiness. And as for Matt, Bethany and Drew, Kent isn't that far away. Get yourself a video cam set-up and "talk" to Drew as often as you can. He'll be more interested in the computer keys, but he'll recognize your voice and best of all, your laugh. And there's always road trips with your best friend. And lots of diet Coke and fries at 5 guys. (Hey, that rhymes!) Hang in there - it will all work out.
Hey, maybe we could get together sometime and cry. I seem to have mastered that one. I'll get me a "STRONG" Coke, and you a "STRONG" Diet Coke and we can just cry. Ryan will be an awesome missionary. You and Del have done an amazing job raising him and now he will put all of it into action!! The people of Mexico are so lucky to have him!!
Post a Comment