Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A few thoughts about our world right now....

Eric Bowen
  • When you stop and think of just how important families really are, it is significant to know that it all starts with goodly parents... We are the seeds and they are the garden... They water us with love and compassion and protect from weeds and insects... Then we grow and mature and we become the fruits or vegetable in that garden and we share ourselves with others as to what we have become... Then is is our turn and the garden grows older and moves on for the next planting...

    Yesterday, we learned just how precious that garden is as my 83 yr old father has taken a turn for the worse after being disabled by transverse miolitis some 13 years ago... The last two days he has fought to hold on with labored and rattled breathing even though we have reassured him that we are fine and that is OK to go...

    This old tough Marine has fought a good fight and continues on even when we left tonite...

    The most difficult thing is that I just couldn't tell mom about it yet... She likewise has been sick and coughing and sleeping all the time... she just doesn't feel good either... Today at the doctor we learned that she has pneumonia in her right lung... The doctor said that she needed to go the hospital now and then I told him that her husband was at death's door... This compassionate doctor gave her a shot of Amoxicillin and a prescription to follow through with it because SHE had to be with her husband... with a mask on, but she needed to be there... Should she get worse, it is off to the hospital...

    This was the most wonderful experience that could have ever happened... After the doctor and lunch we went to the Sunshine Terrace to see dad... Before we went in, I explained to mom that dad had been sick a couple of days and not to shocked with what she saw... She said that she would be OK.... Tears streamed uncontrollably down my face as I escorted my mother arm in arm down the hall to where my dad was struggling so... As she entered the room, she was calm and loving... I was a mess... She walked over to his air gasping body and place one had on his shoulder and one on his face where he lied in bed and just looked at...

    I told her that dad was not doing well and that it was time for him to go home... Tearfully, she said the most marvelous and loving thing... She said, "Yes, I know that it is time.... it's time for Freddie to go home... Whatever the Lord wants, he can have."

    SHE KNEW!!! She accepted it, and although she was sad at that thought, this remarkable woman was ready to let go... Can I tell you just how comforting that was to me??? Do you realize just how much I fretted telling her??? She already know... It that spirit touching spirit, or what???

    A ten or fifteen minute visit turned into four hours of reminiscing and remembering... My sister, Nicole, was on speaker phone and we all felt of each other's pain... but gloried in the moment...

    Many wonderful and spiritual things have occurred the last two days, and these are too sacred to mention here but we know from whence we came, where we are doing here and where we can go... His Plan reigns triumphant!!!

    So on this night and I prepare to post this writing and prepare myself for the passing of my great father, Frederick David Bowen, I give thanks for the opportunity I have had to be with my dad, and even more important (should my dad pass during the night) it the fact that mom got to see her husband for one last time... And may your prayers be with my mom tonight... She needs your prayers and strength...

    I love you dad and I love you mom... Please Dad... Go home.... It's time to see your loved ones on the other side... If I am not there when you go, let it be known that you have forged me into what you wanted me be and I thank you... Good night, Dad.

Nicole Bowen Hillary:

Well - I guess I'll be speaking first - because I won't be able to after you do. It's 12:05 AM... dad has made it through to another day - I've got his fishing reel all set up - and pulled out his hip boots - just waiting for Uncle Bob, Grandma and Grandpa Bowen and maybe even Grandma and Grandpa Hill to show up here. Sunshine Terrace - you hired the most compassionate and tender nurses and CNA's. I arrived at 10:45 after making sure my affairs were straight at home. They have a blanket here for me - some snacks and they are just as emotional as I am. The spirit in the room here is because my brother made sure it was here.... Rick Shelton and the Bishop gave mom a blessing - and the spirit is so strong. This is now a sacred place - a place where the other side is nearby and the hand of our families on the other side will reach through and take him home. Fishing pole, hip boots and all. I know he's still here because he pushes his cheek into my hand when I tell him I'm here. He's so handsome. He's such a gift. I talked with Eric today about what we have learned. We have learned a deeper kind of devotion, love, and acceptance of the Lords plan on this earth. Sometimes I think that perhaps he had a talk with God before he came to earth and said... "If you'll just give me a little spot of land, a few animals, a beautiful wife, a little house, a couple of kids and give me a few wonderful years with them... I'll spend the last 12 years as you need me to spend them. Both of them held up to their end of the deal. It was hard being far away today - but the closeness of our family through our words to each other - was priceless. We read the last verse in Enos... we believe that. As I sit here with him... his heart is racing, and his breathing is kinda freakin me out (: why are you still here dad - is the only question I have left for God. Are they to leave together? We've talked about that - Eric and I. We've said, when one goes - the other will follow quickly. Dad has such a crush on mom...and she loved to irritate him by putting coconut on his chocolate cake. He said it tasted like cardboard. We weren't sure if he meant the coconut or the cake. It's pretty close to the time that we will gather our families, and our memories and we will dress up in our best clothes to honor him. We will say our words of comfort for each other, and we'll sing only one song (because dad hated, loathed, barfed over musicals) and then we'll gather at the base of those Mendon Mountains and we'll stand there hand in hand to say good bye. I'm sure that it will be hot standing there in our hip boots.... but for dad - it'll be worth it. I'm waiting Grandma Bowen..... daddy is ready. Come on in...but leave me a butterfly kiss on the way out so I know it was you. Love you Eric, Love you Mom... Love you Dad.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

What an amazing tribute to your sweet parents. I know this was a few weeks ago & you have had many hard & wonderful moments since - but I have read this blog post over & over & am so grateful for your wisdom & testimony. You are an amazing lady surrounded by many other amazing people. I'm thinking of you & all you are doing. Keep writing & sharing your experiences. :)
Much love to you & your family.