Monday, August 25, 2008

Uh huh - I believe someone is watching out for us...

Need further testimony that he watches over his house? If the wind would have been blowing south - I still think our beautiful Draper LDS Temple would still be standing. Not even a shadow of a doubt.
This is the sun shining brightly through the smoke from the Corner Canyon Fire in Sandy - it's about 10 miles from our home. Still ZERO percent contained after 4 hours. This is only 1 hour into the fire - by 4:00 PM the valley is covered in an freaky covering. We live next to the driest gully in the valley - Dimple Dell Equestrian Park - scary because there is ash falling from the sky everywhere. The big tanker planes are non-stop flying over us. Right behind the smoke are some serious thunder clouds - a little help here please? Preferably lightening free perhaps?

So much for the SLC Air Quality Report.... I say get the tinfoil dinners ready and grab a marshmallow just for kicks! I can't even breath in our house it is so thick with smoke! I will be so sad to see the black mountain afterwards. The scars from the red fire retardant still stain the mountain from the last big fire. Weird - I passed about 2 dozen wildlife management service vehicles - the wildlife is starting to head into town. I will also miss the beautiful fall foliage that would have shown up in about a month. Basically we are probably thinking that the "No Fires Allowed" sign is gone.... Hope they catch the culprit and make them plant all of the trees again - with a spoon..... why a spoon Ashley? Right - it'll 'urt' more! I'm thinkin' that Smokey the Bear will not be available for interviews for a while....

4:00 PM .....just an update - they have started evacuations..... not pretty.....

10:00 PM .... people back in their houses but the mountaintop is still on fire. It's almost to the watershed hike we all go on - to the big rock. House is still full of smoke - car covered in ash - eeeewwww. The wind is blowing like crazy - our beautiful mountain is black except for the glow of the fire whipping up in several large areas. What would you grab first? (The chocolate for the smores.....)(Any child still at home) (The Macaws) (Legal Documents) (Years of scrapbooks) (Grandmas Quilt) (Wedding Pictures from kids) (Scriptures) (Load it all in the Viper and drive like - wait - the birds don't fit...) (Roasting Pan for birds) (Perhaps a nice Ceasar salad on the side) (Pepsi) (Clean Underwear).... or something along these lines.....

2 comments:

Betsy B said...

Wow! Yeah, I'm all for some smores. We don't have TV so I didn't even know there was a fire. I'm glad you're okay and they let you back into your smoke filled, ash covered abode. Just so you know, we have a bunk bed if you ever need a place to stay :).

pitbull said...

Update: 5:00 AM Tuesday morning (leaving for Las Vegas) Fire is still roaring in about 9 different places: eerily (and highly) visible from I-15...turned on the wipers to get the ashes off- WRONG -now we really can't see. Carwash is 1st stop... Arrive in LV - what's that smell? Smoke? We stink! Yep, the car, our clothes, my pillow, even the COKE in the cooler smells. Can't imagine how the yard at home looks from the ashes, and how the dogs must smell. I, too, hope they find the culprit with the matches....Nic, a spoon would be too easy for them to use to replant.