Today I went to the Draper Temple - it's the day I usually go, and I love being there. I decided to get some family baptisms done and had hoped that there would not be a long line of (wonderful) youth - because they won't let you in if there is. Good Day - went right in. I wear a band on my arm - a bracelet - like this one pictured - but obviously not that particular name on mine. Mine has my handsome son in law's name on it. When he leaves I put it on - when he returns, I store it in a safe place for another day.... this is the last time, my 3rd time, that I will wear it - because I miss that home boy way too much - and I really don't want to see just how strong and brave my daughter is through these times any more. So - I'm headed into the font - and the following conversation took place. (Man at the font and I) Sister, you'll have to take your bracelet off before you get into the font. Me - I'm sorry I will not remove it - it's a military bracelet and it means a lot to me. Him - Sorry - you are not allowed to wear it in the font. At this point I start getting out of the font and walking away, and he says - Where are you going? I turned and stood as tall as I could and said - If I have to remove it in order to do baptisms, then I will not do baptisms, I will not take it off until he's home safe. Another gentleman asked what was going on - and the first man told him that I refused to remove a bracelet and I was leaving. The 'Gentleman' said - Sister Hillary come here - tell me what name is on that bracelet - I told him the story of my son in law. He first of all said to tell him thank him for serving, then he turned to the original man and said, "Don't ever ask someone to remove something as priceless at that bracelet. I am a Vietnam Veteran, I flew choppers over the jungles, I wish I had someone back home that cared as much for me as she cares for him. don't ever disgrace a military family member. Then he turned to me and escorted me back into the font and said - Now Sister Hillary, let's do some baptisms. That one was for you Mike.... I couldn't have been more proud of you than I was standing there defending my right to honor you - and it looks like you have one Veteran - that saluted you today. Thanks for serving our country mind, body and soul. I send the sweetest blessings of comfort and protection for you and your sweetheart. By the way - I thanked him for his service too.... and he responded with his tears of gratitude. What would you have done? I think most of you would have done the same thing. The world is catching on that our service men and women are our countries most priceless gems - and in a close second - their families. So in case I missed someone today that has served so that I could be safe and free.... thank you too...
(I don't think the beverage cart could get down the row...)



5 comments:
Nicole, That story makes me cry. I am so proud of you for standing up for Mike and the other Military members. Next time I am in the temple I am going to make sure I have my dog tag that I can't go without because they told me to take them out of my pocket. I was upset. But now I know that if you can do it, I can do it! Love you so much!
Wow...that brought tears to my eyes!! I am so glad you stood your ground and that you met a wonderful man that was willing to stand up for you, Mike and our country!!
Sitting hear bawling...what a wonderful way to start my day!
Wonderful Story!! We love Mike and thank you for what he is doing...
I just found your blog... My husband and I we were the other ones sitting at the table for Ashley's surprise party with Jon and Marie... If you don't remember me... oh well. I'm stalking!
I love this post. I want to get one for Isaac, but I just can't bring myself to do it. We love and miss Mike, as you do as well, and pray daily for his safe return. Ashley is such an incredible woman, you raised a good one :)
Post a Comment