Thursday, July 22, 2010

Westward Ho, or Canadian Ho or Wheredja Go - Pioneers... the lost picture is found...

Well, I've finally found the picture of my brother Eric and I as we were preparing to cross the plains with the pioneers.  Mom and dad were off collecting some flour and lard, gosh I love lard.  Someday I'll post the videos of the walk - someone forgot to tell me about how long it was to get from there to here!  Mmmmmm I still love the smell of sage brush.  My friend Laura Ingalls Wilder and Anne of Green Gables were SO totally fun to spend those long cold winters.  Anne tasted so good.  Ok so she lost the coin toss what can I say.  It's important to remember that most of the Relief Society was also moved - so Home Enrichment and Personal Development Zumba classes and how can can Buffalo course also traveled along the way.   Those biddy women still talked your head off and were giddy when they found a few twigs to curl their hair with or update their heels (kept breaking those high heels in the rocks 'n stuff - gads)  Good thing we hid Hershey chocolate in the hem of our dresses.  I loved dancing along the trails... mom said, "Now you stop that - you'll need all the energy you can get as you are scaled down the cliffs of 'Hole in the Rock'.  Little did she know that I was just trying to dodge the rattlesnakes.  Slurpies were very difficult to find.  The 7-11's back then were not open 24 hours so if we passed by one we could only look in the windows and watch the icy slurpy stuff twirling and twirling that Pina Colada sweetness around and around.  Laura and I loved it when we found one open.  We took the rag ties out of our long flowing hair and tossed it to and fro before walking into the store.  Parking was hard - those wagons took up so much room - you had to get on tracks just to get to the store..... and at about this point - my 9th Generation Grand Father - is cussing me with his Scottish accent - as previously posted on facebook - he knew that I could NEVER EVER have done what they did - I could NEVER EVER have survived, been courageous enough or walked that far without killing my brother for the life of me.  So SALUTE to you brave Pioneers - that saw the vision of the place I live today.... and 7-11's that are open 24 hours a day.  I will not forget you... but I'll bet you would have been tasty too.... 


 Mr. Hill (1665) (Pre Pre Dinosaur Scotland)
Daniel Hill (Pre Dinosaur Scotland)
William Hill (Scotland)
Daniel Hill (Scotland)
Alexander Hill Sr (My Gpa buried in SLC Cemetary) (Scotland)
Daniel Curry Hill (Brought the 1st Presidency into the SL Valley) (My first Pioneer) (Scotland)
Alexander Bryce Hill (Wellsville)
Alexander Munjar Hill (Wellsville)
Alexander Poppleton Hill (Wellsville)
June Murray Hill Bowen - living
Nicole Bowen Hillary - Mom to next generation
Matt, Ashley, Mandy Ryan - next generation
Andrew, Emma - next generation


Some of this crazy bunch came in from Canada... that's just not fun because I always blame Canada for everything and I need to get over that habit.... Well, Happy Pioneer Day Grandpa, and grandpa, and grandpa and grandpa and so on and so on - until you get to my mom - who at 81 years old last night at 1:15 AM was doing yard work by the light of the street light.... blasted crazy woman - I love you...the last living member of your generation and you are crazy as a loon, and I pray for many more years of having you around.  


1 comment:

Chuck said...

With your an my grandparents travelling the same path at about the same time (mine helped settle Smithfield before going to Canada) it makes me wonder if they knew each other.

Small world.