Crazy things happen with a full moon... like going on a bike ride actually in the moonlight. Ryan and I were able to participate in the Antelope Island Moonlight Ride this year. It's an 18 year old ride and it was the most amazing thing ever. I hadn't been to the Island since Elementary school, and was first of all freaked out by driving over the Great Salt Lake on the causeway. I reminded Ryan that when the causeway was originally built over the lake, Grandpa Bowen was on the crew that did it. Weird but true! The ride there was hysterical because Ryan found a Spanish station on the radio and he was translating the songs to me and we were laughing ourselves silly. The Manchild knows his Spanish. We were fortunate enough to have some very kind friends provide our wristbands and a seriously good looking tee shirt. Thanks to Myron and Jill Eldred - couldn't have gone without you. Jill had just recently had shoulder surgery so Myron took the lead of our three pack. The ride required headlights on your helmets and red lights on the back. When the ride started it looked like the mountain was on fire with tail lights. Over 1400 riders took to the trail - it was the most amazing sight ever. To totally have to trust just ten feet in front of you was very interesting. The full moon was over the Great Salt Lake and it was breathtaking. Most of the riders decorated their bikes with glow sticks - having never ridden the ride - I was not a decorated rider - but alas I did put my glow in the dark Halloween makeup in my back pocket - so I did get a few scares out of people. The ride was only 23 miles, but it took off a good 1,000 calories with the hills and such. The ride took you from one marina to the next - where there were treats and lots of laughter, then you started back - and the red lights had to miss hitting the white lights coming and going. Ryan and Myron were good riders - guys like to do that testosterone thing where they are pushing each other along. I was all, "Oh my gosh - what a cute jersey - oh yeah - you did the Little Red ride didn't you..." to total strangers. The bug rumor is certainly true - but only if you stop for 5 seconds - then they carry you away - so the trick is to never stop.... I thoroughly enjoyed that ride - and it will certainly be on my list of things to do next year... any takers? We arrived home at about 2 AM - and we were still laughing. Here is Ryan and I and the 1/2 way mark - he was a great friend to have on the ride - a strong rider - and a very good translator.... Next morning....another ride.... new story.... on next post.


No comments:
Post a Comment