Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Pioneer Treck to Mendon... (in our airconditioned 4Runner)

Well - I would never have been able to be a pioneer... ever.  But our journey to the promised land of Mendon began with loading up our bikes, packing up our work clothes, and stopping at In and Out on the way there.... there were no campfires included.  My little town has a pint sized party on the 24th of July - really home towny stuff - it was also a weekend for me to get some freakin work projects (never ending lists) completed for my mom.  Del, Ryan and I all had a bunch of (seriously nonsense activities) things that needed to happen this weekend and we threw in some very fun things to even out the time (actually 28 hours) we were there.  We started with an amazing bike ride from Mendon to Hyrum Dam, the valley and the weather was breathtaking as usual.  We hurried home to make breakfast for our Mendon Family - ok - ok - ok - so David made the bacon and sausage - and Betsy added water to the pancake mix.... alrighty then.... we ate.  Then we headed off to the Parade - I'll have you know - our parade in Mendon is ranked 8,456th in the nation - kid you not.  There are 17 tractors with 400 kids with water guns and candy.  There were 3 floats with royalty on them sweating through those prom dresses.  The Utah State Basketball team came - I think they thought it was the SL parade - but they were good sports.  I walked away with 2 bubblegums, an orange taffy, and a sucker.  Score Big.  The funniest part to me was when they had the grand marshals of the parade (some people that I kinda think that THEY think they are a little better than others..... (unchristlike sorry) in a car that was so high on the sides that you could only see the tops of their heads and their arms reaching up to wave!!!! (BWAHAHAHAHA!)  It was a day where our family joins in randomness and enjoys the company and food and the love.  My cute 2nd cousin Natalie brought her little kids (all children in my blogs are referred to by protective custody names as to protect their innocence)  George, Nataliaski, and Herman.... So dang cute.  I LOVED that they came and I LOVED talking to Natalie - actually I LOVE her parents, and her sister Marnie - and well- those other ones that are not my face book friends yet..... I love them too.  Here are some random parade pictures.... and some random comments from the peanut gallery....
Natalie - (wait where is the hair on my left side?)

Seriously Parade goers..... Pat - what's in your mouth?
(Oh Hi Ryan.... "I like this truck")

David, Betsy, 'George', Erin and 'Spike Lee'
waitin' for that candy to flow....

The firetruck drenching - we put Gma under
the umbrella.... yep - someone pulled their boat
as a float - we have total Kentucky Class....
sorry - Kentuckians...

My grand-nephew - was pretty impressed that
no one was telling him to 'not eat candy'
This is Thomas E. Train - son of Betsy and David

I will disclose these names - as we would like
someone, ANYONE to come and kidnap them!
I LOVE these two - my niece and nephew
Kate and Brandon.... I loff them.
Yo - my Bro.... Spinal surgery - ew - he's a keeper.
The best youngest son ever... I cut his head off. sorry.
I have hair in my eyes on this picture but still none
on the right left side of my head... what gives?
Great Grandma actually got a snuggle from 'Spike Lee'
actually - they both look like they are in pain.
Except - Mom won't remember she's in pain
five minutes from this picture being taken....
(:
I have absolutely no idea who these ladies are - but
they look like some pretty bad a chicks eh?
(Look - Natalie - there's Natalieiski!)
My favorite thing at the parade....
Thomas E Train - showing his amazing
 puddle jumping skills...
*************
After the parade - there was much to be done at
the homestead... there were many squirrels to find,
so we send Gma off to find them.  We tended to the
garden, and picked about 20 crookneck squash,
we cringed at the 25 zucchinis growing bigger than
a breadbox, and we finished the pathway around the
garage so Grandma won't fall on her hinney.
Updates on the garden as follows:  Growing...
And at the right you can see the walk of shame we built....
you see she won't trip but she'll think she's drunk when she
walks on the uneven brick job.... (:   dang -we're good
Ballgames and Fireworks - with Betsy, Spike Lee, and Erin
who is entering Utah State University - and we've all given
her about a week there before someone marrys her...
so dang cute...
Spike entertained us with every single hand gesture from:
Popcorn Popping
If you're happy and you know it,
and some Bubble song that made me
pee my pants laughing....
My cousin Heidi made the co-ed all start team!!!
She was camping?  WTF?
So Erin, Thomas E Train, and Betsy collected
her winnings for the night for her...
It's ok - I can kick her butt in softball
any day of the week sista... (;
Me mudder - dang - I look tired - but I do
show a case of possible hair here on the sides.. (:
Thomas E. Train - was so frightened of the fireworks,
so he covered his ears..... and actually fell asleep and
missed them all anyway - I LOVE THIS PICTURE!
(love my Werin too)

We drove home after the fireworks - actually we're not sure who
drove home - because apparently we were all sleeping in the
car on the way home..... :0  but what a great day.  This
blog entry is somewhat strange  - but it is mostly for
my away kids - whom I missed with all my heart,
and during the the fireworks in the dark... I shed a
a tear or two.  It was nice to snuggle with Del - to
have him there, and to have Ryan there - and to be with family.
It was a day of service, and of good food, great family times
and a reminder that someone made this family possible
many years ago when they crossed the plains.
Just wondering which polygamist mom was mine..
(SO just kidding?)

No comments: