The last Hillary child is moving to greener pastures at BYU tomorrow morning. What to do with his room... hum... I have some mixed emotions about losing this guy yet again. It's not like he's leaving on that 2 year Mission again, I mean - he can come home now and then, and I can call him every single hour of every single day right? I use to LOVE getting the school supplies for the kids for school. I did find myself buying crayons, glue sticks, 2 pads of paper, scissors, and a package of #2 pencils just for fun. Ok - I know that Ryan will be a Sophomore at BYU, and he didn't need any of those items, or even the pencil box I got him in Cougar Blue. But what to do with my thoughts about him leaving (yep folks - I'm very aware that he's 21, lived away from home for 2 years, and needs to go have that college experience)....but then there's these thoughts... I won't miss: the light being on at midnight, watching him drink from the milk carton, shrinking all of his clothes when I wash them - because I needed to fill up the batch of clothes, having him move all of my cutesy things out of the bathroom and making it a man's room, the can o nast under his bed (yes Ryan, I know about your under the bed stash o stuffage), watching him going to church alone with total strangers, those oil spots on the driveway (: , waiting up worrying because he runs in the gully at night with the coyotes and snakes, the dance we do in the morning in the kitchen trying to make our lunches and breakfast and being in the same place at the same time, watching 40 granola bars disappear, and hearing about how 'really good Mexican food tastes'... whaddeva homeboy...
I will miss: his smile, his kindness, watching him trying so hard to be a good person to so many people, the smell of his cologne, his crisp white shirt and black suit on Sunday mornings before he goes to church, watching him eat most of my cheese - so I won't, listening to his stories of the day as he sits at the end of my bed before we call it a day, walking by his room and seeing him kneeling in prayer at night, giggling because he kneels in bed under his covers in the morning for his prayers, having someone to trust, his Christlike insight, his concern for my life and my heart, his hard work at the garden in Mendon, trying to make the best out of every situation, and knowing that if it's a Friday night - then he is in one of the 3 Temples in the valley because he's worthy to be there.
Good Luck Ryan - you've served the Lord for 2 years, gathered up your schooling again, worked so very hard all summer long to earn your own tuition, and paid your way. Congratulations on your scholarships - they know a good thing when they see it. Make amazing friends, don't kill your roommate, eat your beans, and brush your teeth. Now and then..... call your mom. I love you son - kick some Cougar butts.... (oh - can I say that?)


No comments:
Post a Comment