Monday, November 19, 2012

My thoughtful and wonderful Thanksgiving post right before the painful and slightly horrid post about Black Friday.

I know you've seen this before - but I can't get enough of it.  Abraham Lincoln said:  "I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me.  They have clung to me all my life".  So it is with my mother.  Some days - my children have really hard days. Each of my children that read this will interpret it different - for we all have our moments of toughness.  Today - I needed to give advise and I struggled to find the right words.  I do remember saying a bit louder than the rest of the conversation that I have great faith in my children and I know that God watches over them and knows their needs.  I reminded this child that it's really all about God's plan for us - and our patience in waiting to see what that is.  Being prepared for God's will is not a problem I've seen in any of my children, ever.  I see them doing good things and living the way that they have been taught to live.  They contribute and love and laugh and endure.  Some days just suck more than others.  When I have those awful days - I call my mom.  She lets me pour my heart out and she listens (that's kind of a funny concept because she can't hear and she can't remember) to me.  Her answer to me is never failing - "I believe in you".  It's always the only answer I really need to hear.  Today - I hope my children know I love them - today I prayed hard for them, and that I believe in them.  I hope they feel those prayers and that they will follow them also.  I told the Big Guy that I was so grateful for them, for their spouses, and my grandchildren and grandpuppy.  I told him I was grateful for my husband Gomer.  He's always fixing something for someone with the most expensive part he can find - but it lasts.  (:  Today - I found a paper my mother gave me - she had cut it out with her pinking scissors - you know the zigzagged kind.  She had pasted it onto a paper with leaves on it.  She had sent this to me many years ago.  Today - was a bit dark for me inside but after praying I went into the kitchen and I noticed I had just randomly put this poem on my Thanksgiving Board - not thinking much of it - until now - when I realize it was not to be noticed until today.  So for Thanksgiving this year I wanted to give it to my children - with love, from my mom and I to them.  I will write it fast because I can feel the blood starting to boil about Black Friday and I need to suppress it with warm fuzzies instead of nuclear bomb threats. 
 
Day to Give Thanks
 
Be thankful that you don't already have everything you desire.
If you did, what would there be to look forward to?
Be thankful when you don't know something,
for it gives you the opportunity to learn.
Be thankful for the difficult times.
During those times you grow.
Be thankful for your limitations,
because they give you opportunities for improvement.
Be thankful for each new challenge,
because it will build your strength and character.
Be thankful for your mistakes.
They will teach you valuable lessons.
Be thankful when you're tired and weary,
because it means you've made a difference.
It's easy to be thankful for the good things.
A life of rich fulfillment comes to those
who are also thankful for the setbacks.
Gratitude can turn a negative into a positive.
Find a way to be thankful for your troubles
and they can become your richest blessings.
 
 
No matter where we all are this Thanksgiving - remember
WE ARE FAMILY and I BELIEVE IN YOU
and for that - I am richly blessed beyond words.
Love Bob Hillary, and Swirley Bowen

1 comment:

Joosten said...

Thank you for sharing your poem! I needed that today!!