Monday, December 3, 2012

Proud to be a Birthday Ginger

Yes.... I was born a Ginger.... quite a few years ago today actually.  I seem to find a 5 and a 3 mixed into that age range.  I wanted to post on my birthday - just because it's always fun when you actually SEE your birthday written out..... DECEMBER 3rd.  I mean you wait an entire year to see it written and then poof, in 24 hours December 4th crashes the party!  It's been quite a ride so far.  Somethings I hope my children will never forget.  Somethings I hope they'll never know (makes you wonder now eh?)  Never the less I thought about this day and how fortunate I've been to have some pretty spectacular things going on.  Like my knees.  Gosh I love them.  They've been through some pretty rough moguls skiing, jumping over high jump bars, cycling, frightening zumba classes, crawling around with little children, and endless hours on them in prayer.  They are slightly elephant skinned, and saggy, but they are the best praying bases I have.  I have my mom's hands.  Dark spots are starting to show, and my fingers are starting to get crooked, but they always seem to find themselves reaching out to try to help someone.  Once an old lady in a rest home slapped them when I reached out to pat her on the arm.  They said she did that all the time.  I looked at my eyes closely today - boy have they seen life.  They've had to look at the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - isn't that a movie?  They've closed many times with tears, and they've looked upon the sun and the glory of the world.  They've seen little tiny wrinkles forming around them - each one earned from a smile.  They've seen life being born, and they've seen life leave this earth. But they are Ginger Blue, and have a fleck of green like my Dad's eyes still have at 83.  I felt my heart beating today - strong - and true.  Some days it's felt broken, but mostly it's carried the weight of keeping me going, and trying hard to keep me around.  Ok - so I also started my High Blood Pressure meds and my Cholesterol meds, I can hardly wait for those side effects.  I looked at my hair - or at least where it use to be really really long - but I gave 12 inches away the other day so that someone else could be a Ginger.  I'm not sure if I did them any favors.  Hope they have the freckles to go with that hair.  Over all - I'm not happy about being an odd number of years - I do better on the even years - so my posts might be stranger this year than normal.... really?  Have I ever had a normal one?  So I begin this new older adventure and look to the future with hope.... and I hear many challenges calling out to me... like my husband Gomer, of almost 30 years in the room snoring, at 7 PM.... now THAT'S old.
Thanks Mom and Dad for wanting me - and keeping me after you saw my hair.  My mom called tonight and sang Happy Birthday to  me - she couldn't remember the words.... I said, "Well most of it repeats and then you say my name in the middle", she said, "In the middle of what?"  Oh well.  But she remembered the day she had me - and she explained it in great detail.  The mind allows you to remember the good times - and I am grateful to have celebrated with my children, and grandchildren this particular Good Time.  I winked at the heavens - I miss it there - but I'm trying hard here to get back there in one piece, with 2 carry on pieces of luggage, and no regrets.  BTW... I'll be baking Ginger Cookies to celebrate, and I'll be heating the entire house to bake them with - in a single hot flash.  Gotta love it - started those meds too....
Oh Happy Day

1 comment:

Mandy | Baking with Blondie said...

Made me cry! I love you so much, Mom!