Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11 - 7 Years - where were you?


Remember? I was just headed into the Jordan River Temple - Ryan called me (then a 12 year old) and said that something blew up and it was all over the TV - I told him to not be late for school - never thinking the impossible had happened. I told the ladies in the temple that something horrible had just happened, and I felt bad that I took that spirit into the temple that day. During my session at the temple - they started closing it and sending people home. I don't remember most of the next several days afterwards, I just watched it over and over and over again. I wanted to keep my children close to me. I wanted to scream out loud, but I had to look tough for my kids who needed someone to be strong for them. I didn't sleep much. Anything that was ever wrong in my life would never be as bad as this. Over the years the images creep in my mind, and that's not a bad thing - it reminds me why I grateful that we have the freedom to mourn, and honor people, and try to make it all stronger. I mourn for those that never got to know their fathers or mothers. I honor those that serve our country (love ya Mike). I try to make it stronger by teaching my children that you still need to stand tall, put your hand over your heart and say the Pledge of Allegiance with conviction - and heck yes, wear that little flag pin on your jacket lapel... You all might not like Bush - but I think that he did what he needed to do - and I would hope that the least of us would be able to stand up and say - let's go get em'. Don't forget to walk through the healing field flags again today - you've had 6 years to do it - hope it never gets tiring. Being a part of setting up the flags over the years found me in tears yet again. Today sky was a brilliant blue again - beautiful and peaceful - ugly can happen fast. 9/11 stop and think - where were you?

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Thanks for helping me remember a great picture I have from the Healing Field back in 2003. I'll email you my blog address so you can see it.

pitbull said...

I was just getting to school, and heard on the radio that something had happened. Then I got a phone call from Erin in California, asking if I'd been watching the news. Terrifying, watching it unfold live on TV. Not much happened at school that day - lots of parents came to pick up their children. I was glad I had Rich and Cale near to hug, but was sad that I was unable to hug Erin and Marc. I, too, go past the healing field every year and remember... I'm glad that Bush did what he had to do, even though he's caught hell since then. But what else were we to do? My heart still aches for all those lost in the 9-11 bombings as well as all the soldiers lost since then. But our flag still means freedom for us living in the good old USA.

Mandy | Baking with Blondie said...

I'm pretty sure that i was in middle school and I was headed to my math class. my friend rachel was telling her friend that nothing exciting ever happens anymore in the world...pretty ironic.....then the teacher turned on the tv. I didn't really understand what was happening or even why it happened. i just remember being confused and sad as the news explained things. I was worried and really sad about the people in the WTC and especially on the planes - also the brave firecrews. Anyway, Ry and I watched a documentary this year on 9/11 and it scared the heck outta me - just a real slap in the face again about how freaky everything was. It took me awhile to calm down and Ry had to remind me that it had happened a few years ago.... it still seems so real to me.