Friday, October 17, 2008

....and you're hiding in a ditch...

When I was a little girl my mom was the chorister for Primary. Back in the 'good old days' of 'fun Primary music' we were taught seasonal songs that many of my friends from Mendon still teach their own children. Mom would have pictures, and props and also her bright shiny blue eyes to dazzle and entertain Primary Children. Primary was held on Monday nights - we were let off of the bus right in front of the church house. We would run in and put our pennies in a box that looked like the Primary Children's Medical Center (45 years ago). You would put as many pennies as your age. (I think we stole this idea from the friendly Catholics that I didn't know existed until I was older) I loved Halloween songs the most - mom had a song that she put on Paper Plates and then she would hold them up to remind us of the words. I found the plates at my house one day and I cried and cried - as we sang the songs. One particular song was "There's no such thing as a witch!" (Try singing that one in church these days...) The words are:

When you're all alone in the country
And you're hiding in a ditch,
Don't cry out without a doubt -
There's no such thing as a witch.

Skeletons and goblins are only make believe
Folks dress up in costumes,
Just try to scare you.
ooooooooooooooooooooooooo

and on and on... Now this sounds like a silly song - but remember I lived in a small town called Amnityville Horror I swear. Mendon by day was bright and friendly - but put a full moon to it on Halloween night - and movie producers show up just to film scary movies! I knew what to do in an earthquake - hide under the desks or in a door frame. I knew what to do when the Germans would certainly bomb us - find the nuclear bomb shelter. By darn - I knew what to do when a witch came to town - you'd find me in the ditch! .....ooooooooooooo....... I'm going to Amnityville this weekend - I'll try to rustle up some more songs - I love Halloween....

15 comments:

Betsy B said...

Hey, we're going to Mendon, too for a bit. Brandon has a play and Charlie is going to visit his Nana. Perhaps we'll run into each other...

Mommason Hillary said...

I'm going to be at the play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Betsy B said...

Wahoo! I guess we'll see you there then! ...and good times were had by all...

Judee said...

Hi,
I was thinking of the song"When you're all alone in the country" That I learned in primary also. I wanted to see if there was any music. When talked about the pennies in the Primary Children's Hospital bank. Then I remembered another sing we would sing as we went up to put our pennies in it. Ours would light up when you would put the pennies in. The song went like this:
Five pennies make a nickle. Two nickles make a dime. Ten dimes will make a dollar and we'll let it shine. It's for the cripple children, who can not run or play, but have to lay in bed all day and cannot join the fun. So, let us be unselfish and bring our pennies here. It will help the cripple children become stronger year by year. We'll march a long and sing this song and pray that they may be, a little stronger every day, because of you and me.

Did you ever sing that song. My daughter has a blog too. She lives in Eagle Mountain. Your family looks very nice.
Take care,
Judee

Mommason Hillary said...

Judee Judee Judee -thanks for the blog comment - I DO have the music for it! I REMEMBER the pennies song! WE MUST BE FROM THE BEST GENERATION EVER! Please let me know where to send it if you are still interested. My e-mail is nic_hillary@yahoo.com and we can talk there!

pitbull said...

Boy, you're going "way, way back" now, rememering the words to that song. Even I (older than dirt) remember playing (yes, I was a Primary accompanist even then...) piano while the kids "shouted" the "ooooooooo"s) Thanks for the fun memories.

April said...

Thank you for posting this! My mom started teaching my girls this song and asked me to look up the lyrics. Your site was the only place I have found the words.

Mommason Hillary said...

You go Goat Girl! Thanks for visiting! Stay along for the ride - it gets crazier!

Anonymous said...

Okay, this is wierd, but I was just thinking about that song "there's no such thing as a witch" and I google "skeletons and goblins are only make believe" and your blog was the only thing the search brought up.
I sing that song all the time to my kids. My mother ALSO taught it to me on paper plates!!!
I know that there are two verses (kind of).
In your blog you wrote "on and on" so does that mean you have all the lyrics. If you do could you reply and type them all?
That would be awesome!!

Gin said...

There are at least 2 verses to the song "There's No Such Thing as a Witch". My sister thinks there are 3. We would love the words if anyone has them.

Anonymous said...

I also would love the other verse. I have been teaching some of the 'old' songs to my grandkids that I babysit and they love them. It is so fun to hear the almost 2 year old and almost 5 year old sing "Witches sailing through the sky -- on their broomsticks way up high, etc." "And when your all alone in the country...."

Anonymous said...

Check out this site for words and music from The Children's Friend for both of these songs:

http://fireflyanswers.blogspot.com/2008/10/theres-no-such-thing-as-witch-and-when.html

Fonnell/Grammie/mom said...

Hi,
I put the music of the song on my blog and was surprised to see your post afterward. just search the song title and you should find me.

Enjoy

Fonnell/Grammie/mom said...

p.s

The song was published in the Childrens friend 1955 that will date us!
YIKES

Anonymous said...

Hello, I was looking for the words to these songs to teach my grandchildren, there were several others, Boo! Boo!Boo! I'm a ghost to scare you..... and Halloween, Halloween, lots of fun on Halloween,.... I beleive one of the verses to The Witch song goes, When your all alone in the country and the night is dark as pitch, don't shout out because you know theres no such thing as a witch.Thank you for the reference to the Childrens friend 1955 I ordered Alene Daltons Picture Book of Songs 1947,for some of the other old primary songs we used to sing ages and ages ago