Monday, June 8, 2009

Century Sanctuary - Next year I wanna be a Pirate - argh

The Annual "Bob complaining for 100 miles" adventure began on Saturday at about 7:30 AM and ended about 7 hours later including lunch, quick shot block breaks and 'gotta pee' stops. Ashley and I started doing this Little Red Riding Hood Century, well I say 4 years ago - she said 3, but age always wins over beauty so it's been 4 years of interesting adventures. I have to train and train and train, Ashley gets on the bike and trashes everyone, waving at skilled riders as she passes them going uphill. All things in moderation. I was passed by someone older than me, going down hill. Ouch. Needless to say it was a 100 miles of great music, what, ipods? Yep, all the better to drown you out from talking to me saying, "Passing on the left" NO KIDDING? I THINK I CAN ACTUALLY SEE YOU PASSING ME BUT I MIGHT JUST DART OUT AND HIT YOU SINCE WE'RE THE ONLY PEOPLE ON THE ROAD AND THERE'S TEN MILES BETWEEN US AND THE NEXT PACK! (That was for you Heidi) I love rules. Especially when seasoned riders who know better ride 6 wide on a freeway. Can you say 'close up shot on those bib numbers'? Anyway - it always humbles me to do this ride - it's for a great cause and the time spent riding a 100 miles with my daughter who is 1/2 my age minus a year is priceless. We eat great food the night before, we yell out 'Shebalba' at the cows for Mandy, (by the way we didn't hit any Jaffars or Asians Mandy), and we quote movie lines, and then we turn the Dave Matthews Band's new CD up loud in our ears to avoid reality, and pain. We saw enough road kill to feed an army - I have discoverd a way to feed the hungry! Needless to say, nothing feels better than reaching a goal you thought you'd never make. I made a promise to my son Ryan about a certain hill that destroys me every year. I said I would not stop or touch down, that I would sing the 'Dream Big' song even if I cried because it hurt so much. I did it! And yes I did cry - but only because he never gives up either - it was a victory for both of us. Some pleasant thoughts came at about 80 miles when I couldn't get my lower lip to close with the top one. Freaky. I also loved all of the people that came out to the side of the road to cheer us on - that was a serious shot in the arm of sweetness. During the ride I actually forgot I was in the Little Red Riding Hood Ride, I thought I was in the Wizard of Oz - I kept clicking my biking shoes together and saying, "There's no place like home, There's no place like home." My camera was tucked away safely in the car - so you'll need to see the sagging parts of me on Ashley's blog at the right - There's the before picture, the after picture, and then the after the massage picture with the Wolfe - aaaahhh. After burning about 6200 calories on these rides, all I could say was please pass the Pepsi, and hand over another cremecicle. No muscle aches the day after (we're not even going to discuss sitting down the rest of that day), but both knees had to be amputated. Don't worry - they'll grow back in time for the ULCER in August - bring on the testosterone - Del joins us for that one! 2600 riders, one broken arm (I believe it was one of the 6 across bunch - or at least it should have been) and we witnessed only about 3 tubes blown (smart girls use armadillos), a million volunteers, great food, awesome road support, and a wonderful feeling all through the ride, just needed to kill the wind, but never the less....See you next year suckas! (Wait, that's us, duh!) Thanks Lee Lee it was sweeeet!

3 comments:

ashleydox said...

Holy crap - I tried to do an X-Biking class tonight and my legs decided they didn't want to work yet...and I'm not even thinking about how much it hurt to get back on a bike seat again...
Hooray Bob! We did so freakin awesome!
And yes - for me it's been 3 years - that other year is still cursed by the freakin deer...can't remember even riding that year...
Love you!

ashleydox said...

Oh - and we are SO on for being Pirates next year...
That or we can choose which Princess dress we'll wear...

pitbull said...

you two amaze me....