Thursday, June 4, 2009

Mirror, Mirror on the wall - I am my Mother after all... and other words of absolute nonsense - shut up Eric....

I know - I really don't have 80 reasons, I have a million and one. On June 2nd my mom turned 80 years young. You can see that she still has her Primary smile in this picture. This is my dad - we're not sure where he is - but most of the time in the rest home - he likes to eat peas. I was able to spend the last couple of days with mom - and because I've already said in a previous blog how much I really love her and all - I thought for the grandchildren's sake - all 9 of them - that I would list a few items that they can look forward to for when I turn 80. Or, jump in front of a fast moving semi before that day whichever comes first. Many of you that do not know our family - will wonder how these things are actually things - but I guarantee you that my kids, and Eric's kids are fully understanding of this entire blog.

TOP REASONS WE LOVE MOM/GRANDMA

1. Huh? 80 times a day.
2. Who? 80 times a day.
3. Where? 80 times a day
4. When? 80 times a day
5. 80 stacks of papers in 80 parts of the house
6. 80 post-it notes on the fridge - 80 reminders to be reminded.
7. 80 Birthday cards because she is so fun - they had to give her her own bag at the post office - it was like Santa Claus!
8. I'll do it my way - 80 times
8.5 80 millions times she's supported everyone in our family in all of our ball games, track meets, dance/piano recitals, court hearings, wait... isn't that on your blog Eric? Oh, and prom dresses, laundry, cooking, cleaning, doctor appointments for stitches, stitches, and stitches, general drugs, illegal drugs, beatings, whippings, ringlets in my hair so people would laugh at me, ER visits, May Day adventures, Bear Lake drownings, Cold Water Picnics, Easter Sundays at the Gravel Pit, Sitting on top the house to watch the fireworks in Logan, kissing daddy so much, reminding me that love means that you're never alone - even when you are, telling me that kitties go to heaven after we backed up out of the driveway to go to Disneyland and slaughtered my cat and daddy wrapped it in newspaper and threw it in the hollow on the way out of town, understanding my tears as he handed me the bloody collar, (wait - bright shiny buttons - where was I) oh!...weddings, grandchildren's births, Temple trips, birthdays, birthday card$, car wrecks, boating accidents, surgeries, low checking accounts, egg sammies at 12:00 AM delivered at work, carpooling, and giving us worm pills right along with the dog because the Watkins Pill man at the door said we probably needed it, and for sorting the paper clips, and used bread ties so nicely.
9. Did I mention Huh?
10. 80 pieces of bacon in the freezer
11. 80 carcasses on the side of the road
11.5 80 vegetable platters with olives
12. 80 trips to Therm Locke
13. 80 calls to the LockeSmith
14. 80 social clubs
14.25 80 trips to Tiffanys
14.5 80 amazing Roasts, with 'unsettled Raspberry Jello'
15. 80 flowers to 80 graves
16. 80 amazing nieces and nephews
16.5 80 shades of pink lipstick, and orange, and red and... purple - YES people I said purple...
17. 80 years of trials and victories
17.5 80 bags of candy
18. An 80 year old twin that is gone but not forgotten
19. 80 times more of Eric being the favorite child.
20. 80 cinder blocks - crooked
20.5 80 bags of leaves
20.7 80 Marijuana burns - could have been more...
21. 80 years of love and devotion to church and state, and a little bit of Vegas.
22. 80 years of loving and being loved
22.5 79 years of living with 10 toes
23. 80 years of which 61 of them were spent being married to her sweetheart
24. 80 years of which 52 of them were spent being an amazing mom to Eric
25. 80 years of which 29 of them were spent being an amazing mom to me! (hey - it's my blog - get over it...), and being my very best friend in the world. (really - before Verizon - we could have furnished housing and food for a small foreign country.....)
26. 80 years of which most of them were spent in a flower garden, vegetable garden, tailoring shop, piano shop, and yet again, Vegas.
27. 80 years of fun with Elda, Ray, LeDean, Beth, and Jay and all of their spouses, and all of the crazy vacations.
27.5 80 years of the best hot rolls on earth, wait - the last few years she's had bad yeast....
28. 80 years of which only 15 were spent with her own mom
28.5 80 pair of Jacqueline Kennedy sunglasses
29. 80 years of which it would take the Energy Solutions Arena to have a funeral because she knows so many people (remember if you die - we do your hair and make up!)
30. Years upon years of support to many generations of families both Hill, and Bowen, Grandchildren, Great Grandchildren, Nieces and Nephews, Cousins, Aunts, Uncles, Brothers and Sisters, and all of the 80 stories a piece that go with each one of these people. (Which she sometimes can even remember!) (Selective Listening, Selective Memory, and C.R.S. - Can't Remember Stuff)
30.5 Did I mention Huh?

Happy Birthday Mom! I say 80 more... Remember to lift those puppies up when you sunbathe, if not it will leave 2 long stripes over your stomach and into your armpits! XOXOXO Huh? LOVE YOU!!! (Can we still have the hot dog roast?)

wait.... I'll leave the comments open to any suggestions that YOU can think of! (now be nice kids..)

3 comments:

pitbull said...

All I can say is you have an amazing family, nic. Thanks so much for letting me be a small part of it. And Happy Birthday, June. Love you, puke-to-go

Betsy B said...

How about 80 envelopes filled with meticulously sorted pictures and our names on the front (my brother actually thought that was what envelopes were for)... or 80++ pictures of the family with missing heads or limbs or with a large extra finger (I meant the one over the lens not the one my Dad was showing off). You gotta love my Grandma!

Cowgirl Miyake said...

What a fun blog to read! Darling kids and grandbaby. . . .no wonder you, as parents, are so proud. Loved reading about the 80 things to look forward to when you're 80! What a crack up. Clever lady! You are an inspiration to all who know you!