they drive it most of the time actually.
Well, it's a milestone - and we're pretty darn proud of the kid. Ryan - currently Elder Hillary has been out 200 days as of today - July 18th. It's been a rough and rocky start with all of the challenges the Lord has allowed him to experience, surgery, reassignment, (total idiot 2nd companion) and the wonderful heat of Texas - I would certainly say that he's racked up some great stories for his grandkids someday! Haven't updated on Ryan for a bit so indulge me on showing some pictures... and chatting a bit - I mean - you actually clicked on MY blogsite - so you are now subject to some gag me with a spoon Momma loves her son talk. Ryan is currently serving in the Arizona Tucson Mission, his Mission President is President Walker from Taylorsville Utah. We have a lot of trust in his President, and believe him to be a kind and diligent servant of the Lord. The mission extends from Tucson, Arizona, through New Mexico and on into El Paso,Texas where Ryan has spent most of his time since he arrived with his reassignment. (We needed to keep him this side of the border because of his recent surgery on his lung) It is a total Spanish speaking mission which covers the many miles of the US and Mexico borders. His mission he was called to is one block to the south in Chihuahua Mexico - actually right outside his apartment window - where most of the missionaries in his original zone from the MTC have been relocated into Juarez because of violence and drug lords taking over small towns. Ryan has served in El Paso with Elder Fryhoff from Missouri, and Elder Idiot (you know - it's not even worth mentioning his name) from Massachusetts (where he should be sent back to because he needs to be taught how to actually be a missionary)(just use your imagination, times it by 10 - ya - some of you missionaries have had 'that kind of companion' right?) Currently he's serving in Horizon City, Texas and has been sent an amazing companion to serve with - Elder Carter from Logan, Utah. He's 6'5", Ryan is 6'2", Elder Carter is dark hair, Ryan is a blond - they look like giant salt and pepper shakers walking down the road in their pictures... Elder Carter is a gentle giant, and has renewed Ryan's hope of actually serving a mission. Something totally lacking in the 2nd companion. (Kinda verbal about that one aren't I - call me and we'll talk...) Ryan's letters as of late have been amazing, spiritual, mature, and determined to serve the Lord. He comments regularly about the kindness shown him by the people there - thank you everyone!! Right as it should be. Our family has truly been blessed because of his service. Do I sometimes go into his room and cry my eyes out? Aw come on, I'm not that bad.... I'm worse! I still set him a place at the table and catch myself and then fall apart! But - never have I EVER been more proud of him. He has stood up to the storms of life (and believe me it has been violent thunder and lightening storms it seems like) and has kept standing - his spirit is humble, and meek, yet he stands with a strong testimony of the truth of what he is doing. He loves the people, and the place he is serving. It's a beautiful thing when you see your son SACRIFICE all to do that which he is asked to do. No hesitation - or backing out. Ryan commented in a letter last week, "Elder Packard said to the missionaries in the MTC, If you don't find it serving a mission - you'll NEVER find it" Ryan - you get it. Your brother Matt got it, and so did your brother's-in-law, Mike and Ryan. You make us all proud - but mostly you have not failed your Heavenly Father, or your Savior, who gave it all for all of us. (See I can kinda be spiritual) Never the less - the next 200 will be fun to watch, and learn and continue to pray for. All our love comin' Texas way Ryan! Let's send you all out with a spiritual note.... (no this isn't Ryan but you can hear him chattering in the background as he video's this... Congrats Ryan - whew hew 200! (I sent him 200 Tootsie Pop Pops...)(where can I find 300 of something?)(ah - 300 BYU cute girl addresses, send em my way!)


3 comments:
what a fun post! Looks like he's doing well
Yes, you are worthy of "friends and family" I just stopped putting the links on there and just started doing it all through google reader (because I have too many links to go through. I like google reader telling me when I have new blogs to read). SORY :)
Yah Ryan!! My little bro is the BEST!!
What a nice blog to read this morning. Has it been 200 already? Time flies when you're OLD. Ryan sounds like he's doing well....as we knew he would! He'll have some kick-ass recipies (as well as stories) when he gets back. Call me, we'll do lunch.
Post a Comment