Sunday, July 19, 2009

Gorsh yer Grandma's old...


I love that my daughter in law gives us updates on our grandson living far away. As I was looking at (and in total awe at this amazing and beautiful child)(and mom)(and dad) that I too, can relate to his growth, so I shall post MY almost 50 growth patterns along with a few of his. (uncensored)

1. Drinks from straws. Drinks from a cup (with help to hold it right) without coughing and sputtering as if he's inhaled the entire cup.
1a. I just drink a lot of coke, and I cough and sputter as I inhale the entire thing while holding it with both hands while driving a car.

2. Throws dice and squats down to look at them, then laughs.
2a. Not allowed to throw any dice in Vegas, can't squat anymore, but I still laugh.

3. Loves to watch himself in the mirror.
3a. Avoid all mirrors.

4. Shakes his head "no" when he is about to do something naughty (such as touching the stove controls or climbing into the dishwasher).
4a. Always shaking my head "no". Always doing something naughty. Never like touching the stove controls anymore, ok, so I still climb in the dishwasher now and then.

5. Enjoys cartoons on tv (for about 2 minutes).
5a. Work with a couple of cartoon characters.

6. Folds his arms independently when he sees others doing it, sees us coming to the table with food, or hears us say "Say prayers."
6a. Fold my arms reverently and still to this day during Sunday dinner prayers look up and see Mandy and Ashley pulling faces at each other and we all start cracking up - including whomever is saying the prayer... Obituary reads: Entire family dies laughing...

7. Uses his binkie only when in the crib. He knows that he must spit it out as soon as we get him out of the crib, and he taps on it with his hand as if to ask "Do I really have to this time?" As soon as we say "Binkie out" he turns his head away and snuggles into our shoulder in a futile attempt to hide himself and the binkie.
7a. I want a binkie.

8. Points to objects of interest nonstop.
8a. Points to objects of interest on my aging body and realize that they are not where they used to be.

9. Goes up and down stairs by walking when a handrail is available.
9a. Going to need a walker soon if I keep crashing on my bike. (Or I need a bike with a handrail...)(still waiting for a lickstand for my bike..)(yes, I said lickstand)

10. Successfully stayed through 4 hours of church and choir with minimal wiggling (but only once).
10a. You got me on this one AndyPants - If I don't have a package of M&M's in my scripture bag and a Pepsi on ice in a cooler in the car - I can't make it through any meetings. I wiggle all the time...

11. Had his first (temporary) tattoo.
11a. Lucky you, I had to take my second piercing out because of the 'Follow the Prophet' song.

12. Loves to push rolling suitcases around.
12a. ME TOO! As long as there is a plane ticket to ANYWHERE attached to it!

13. Has all teeth pretty much settled in except 2-year-molars.
13a. Had mine in braces just under 10 years ago - I'm waiting for my 50 year molars, I think they're called dentures!

14. Gets down from the high chair independently when it is on a lower level.
14a. I fall on the stool at the counter (independently)(usually because I've fallen asleep)

15. Has become a picky eater! Likes and dislikes vary from day to day. Some days he loves noodles and other days he spits them out; some days string cheese is all he wants, and other days he chews on it for a minute before spitting it out.
15a. I like all food - but I will spit out those cursed tomatoes any day - unless it's salsa, spaghetti sauce or ketchup...

16. Talks all day long. Sometimes I have no clue what he's saying, and he may not even know--he seems to like the sound of his (often very loud) voice. He has very realistic adult prosody, but just a few real words. Here are the words I can think of that he is consistent with:

1. all done (da da)
2. binkie (di di or da da)
3. boo
4. book (buh)
5. cheese (tees)
6. cuckoo (clear consonants now)
7. daddy (or sometimes dada)
8. food (hoo? hoo?)
9. go
10. hi/bye (ai! + wave)
11. hot
12. milk (muh)
13. mommy (or sometimes mama)
14. more (mo + sign)
15. no
16. shoe (sue)
17. woah
18. woof (oof; refers to any animal heard or seen in real life, in pictures, or on tv)

16a. Words I have mastered:
1. It was HOW MUCH?
2. It's due WHEN?
3. HOW many calories?
4. You're going to be HOW LATE?
5. Why is the RUM ALWAYS GONE? (and I don't even drink!)
6. "no, mommy, milk and woah" - got them down....
7. HUH?
8. Zup?
9. Rod Works?
10. I'll have a large Coke please...
11. I'm HOW OLD?
12. Love saying "Oh Daddy" but not in the same way...

I do need to add one that you cannot say yet - when I ride 100 miles with Ashley for a biking event I like to yell randomly, "Sheebalba (at the cows), Look it's Jaffar!, Are we there YET?, and the famous WHO'S IDEA WAS THIS ANYWAY?"

Andy - glad we're both growing up together - this is now official documentation that your Nanna Hillary is crazy - and old, and to that I say..... WOOF!

I love you little guy - keep up the great work!

2 comments:

pitbull said...

We've known for years that you're crazy. And we love you for it. Loved the update on Andypants....any new little Hillary's in the works?

Mandy | Baking with Blondie said...

nope, not yet. Well, that I know of!