Friday, July 24, 2009

They walked and walked and walked...

On this day, I wanted to honor my Pioneer Heros.

Perched up on the sunny side of Salt Lake Cemetery are the sandstone headstones of the original pioneers that came into the valley from my mom's side of the family. I spend a lot of time in this place, and today was no exception as I wanted to honor them. On Christmas Eve I put beautiful candles in front of them - the light is eerie and it twinkles in the snow. I never want them to think they are alone. The tall red one with the bunting around it is Alexandar Hill - a decorated Scottish Naval Officer - thus the anchor on the west side of his headstone. Next to him, also bearing the Utah Pioneer Insignia, (on the left) is his wife Elizabeth Curry Hill, we lost her original headstone many years ago. To the right of Alexander is his son Archibald Hill (white headstone). Archibald was the not only the one of the first pioneers into the SL valley, but also the first Scottish Pioneer to enter the valley. The two in front are also children. The tallest black one is located behind and to the right, next to the tree. Archibald and his brother Alexander Bryce (buried in Wellsville, Utah) were part of the handcart company that returned to Nauvoo, IL. and brought back into the SL valley the remaining members of the 1st Presidency of the Mormon Church in their own personal handcarts. The brothers went on to settle in the Cache Valley and originally founded Mendon, Utah. They they returned to bring back their parents from Illinois. Alexander Hill is someone that I hope to meet someday - and to hear that Scottish brogue. On August 1st he would have been 230 years old! So with a few decorations, a lot of love, and total respect - I give you my 'Blessed, Honored Pioneers' on this, the 24th of July 2009. There's one for the story books Andy.

1 comment:

Mandy | Baking with Blondie said...

Bob - this is another reason why I love you!! You take care of all of us - living and dead :) lol.