When Mike joined our family - he was excited to turn twenty-sex,
yes you read that right.
After that - he was twenty-sex for 4 more years.
It is time, for the Thirsty Thirties to arrive.
I remember those days - 20 years ago.
For his birthday this year the Military (for the third tour) flew him first class.....
to a planet far far away (I especially like the
naked flight attendant preparing the food cart)
where he was booked into a first class hotel
and no doubt received top care, clean green towels, and
assorted crawling appetizers...accompanied with random
wake up calls, and random.... um.... flyovers...??
As if leaving this beauty...
wasn't hard enough? But then to turn 30 alone
in a sand bioch place - with no Motorcycles or a La Costa in sight?
That's hardly fair.
(and because I can't spill the beans about your
gift that should arrive shortly - I will not comment
on how I tried to make this day a tad better)
(along with my friends)
(many many friends)
(tee hee hee)
I love our soldiers.
I did not bring Mike into this world 30 years ago,
but when he became Ashley's husband...
he then became my son.
I am grateful for the concept of eternal families.
On our planet here Mike - we are lost without you.
We are constantly turning off the news on TV,
we kneel in prayer more, we have to trust more.
Yet, with each passing day we find the kind of courage you
have every single day becoming the comfort of those answered prayers.
You have a strong family - your dad would be proud of
the man you are today. I love that your mom Pam taught you
the lessons of life that included love, service, and although you
tower over us and knock down my door frames with your
guns.... she taught you tenderness.
I love that Ashley met you for the first time,
and was smitten - and that was that.
Happy Birthday Michael
Today - I'll think of the fun times and let those rule my thoughts.
Come home safe and make me a 100 pretty grandbabies.
And I'll get the video camera ready... (no...Mike - I'm talking
about for the grandbabies.... dirty soldier boy...)
Play safe now... and please don't light your candles
with a blow torch again ok?
We love you
Mikhole daWkstadder


2 comments:
Wonderful birthday message for Mike. He can't help but know how much you love him.
Sorry for just seeing this blog post now Bob. It was great to read it, especially after I just put Ash to bed via video chat. It's hard spending so many months that turn into years away from the person and family you love most! I miss ya tonz and can't wait to nuzzle again.
Post a Comment