It's interesting to me how much I talk to my kids daily on Facebook. It's such an obsession - but a sweet one at that. I am reminded of their humorous side - their devotions - their fears - their sadness - their loves. I randomly remember when they were younger (after I was the meanest mom in the world to them - made them do their work, practice their piano, and homework) what kind of relationship I would have with them when they were older. Now one is 26, one 25 and one is 22, and the baby will be 21 soon, I have been blessed with the experiences of life, and the occasional reminders that I got my wish. Then again - it's not something that I particularly did - wish I could take credit for that in every way - but rather - who they are, who they have carved themselves into being. I see that bits and pieces of their hero's coming through in their personalities. I see the things they avoid because they recognize consequences. I feel the tremendous amount of love they are capable of having, but rather give it away - their cups empty at night, because God fills them up for the next day. I have seen buckets of tears, and the arms of the comforter ample in their lives, because of the kind of lives they lead. I love that they have tempers, and get all screamy at times - and I'm reminded that so do I. I acknowledge that where there are many personalities in a family and at times things can get touchy, but a phone call and a sweet reminder of the love we have for each other, is sufficient to fix all the woes of the day. I witness compassion, and trials, and failures - because that's what builds character. I rejoice in the massive amounts of years piled up behind their schooling, and remember the endless pencils and pens thrown at the wall in frustration, and the looks in their eyes while wearing a cap and gown from their college graduations. Because those were the standards they set for themselves, and conquered. No one can take that away - ever. Now we are starting to pass those things on to grandchildren, some here, some waiting to come, some in the 'I had better be ovulating in November' stages, and some that the last thing on his mind had better be reproducing...until he returns from his mission. I amazed at how God found just the right person for them to marry - after all this time separated - they found each other, they promised they would in heaven and they did. Somewhere out there is the next Mrs. Hillary and we all can't wait to see who the baby of the fam marries, then we'll love her just as much as we love Bethany, Ryan and Mike. This morning I held up a picture of my grandfather - William Clair Bowen, he left us many years ago - but I asked him, "Grandpa - you always wanted to cut my ears off with your pocket knife - and you called me Pinkie, because no Bowen had ever had red hair.....but am I doing ok in your eyes?" Instantly - and almost freakishly, a picture of my children fell from my magnet board to the table I was working on - the picture posted at the right of my blog - my favorite picture of my children. How silly of me - I'm not doing ok in many things - but being the luckiest mom in the world? Heck - I hit the jackpot. The best gift my children can give to me.... is.... pass it on, all of it - don't leave anything out. You are all Crack Spiders in my eyes. Loff you.
Happy 26th Valentines Day!
5 months ago



4 comments:
You're a great mommy (and mommy-in-law and nana!).
Love you bob!!
(haha, the verification code below was "MANDRIE" .. YEAH!!!
Nic, you absolutely amaze me. You have such a way with words and how to put your innermost feelings down on paper. And you're so unassuming about yourself - you were/are a great mom, and a huge part of your kids' successes because you were behind your kids 100% ALWAYS. OK, sometimes more vocal than others...but take some credit where credit is due. And the magnet falling? That creeps me out just reading about it. One time I was hit with a bat... oow-oow-oow-oow-oow-oow-(creepy music)
I loved reading your thoughts!! My mom is one of my best friends and I am so grateful for the relationship that she and I have!! Nothing like a mother daughter relationship!!
Post a Comment