Last night Mr. Hillary was invited to play at a benefit in SLC. It was a project carried on by the West Valley Police/Fire/Rescue Departments held at Granger High. The students there also were involved, of which I was so impressed with each of them. This 16 year old tradition involves feeding all of the elderly people from ALL of the assisted living centers in the area. I counted 20 long, long tables full of sweet wrinkly smiles. Turkey, dressing, salad, beans, punch and a huge cookie were provided. During their meal Mr. Hillary's band played some great Dixieland music, Christmas Carols and some memorable toe tappers for their guests of honor. Students encouraged some dancing and the floor filled with canes, wheelchairs and jitterbug wannabes.... Each service department came dressed to the hilt and served their dinner with kindness and respect. There were tears in their eyes as they returned to the kitchen to take out over 250 plates of food. I couldn't just sit there so I started helping - and filling water cups, and serving food and taking in their amazing stories. I almost didn't make it there last night - I had ran to the temple and the roads were crowded, and the time was short, but somehow things worked out perfectly. I'm having a difficult year this year - financially it's tough and my spirits are down. But Sunday I told the story of that which is under your tree is not as important as what surrounds your tree. Priceless family, Returning Grandbabies, someone Returning with Honor days before Christmas. Believe me - I work Black Friday in a Retail store - I sat in my department as the doors opened and I watched the rampage. I burst into tears. That particular day I was just hoping to be able to just get some milk at the store. So I decided that you are just as happy as you make yourself out to be... being there last night, with those that have NOBODY coming for Christmas, I decided to add them 'around my tree'. This year I get a son home - but our family is still incomplete, as Mike is serving far way in the military. One day - we'll all be together again I know it. I thought of all of the years I try to trim my tree to make it look beautiful. This year - I thought - hey - I decorated my tree for 27 years now - I think I'll make a change - so I brought all of my 4th of July stuff up and made some ornaments from paper and glitter (it looked like a 2nd grade art project gone bad), and I made a Mike tree. I'll miss you this year - but you need to know that I'm honoring you... even with glitter on most of my fingers still. My father is in a rest home - has been for many years. I am certain that sweet people drop in to see him and sing to him, and bring him glittered cards. I wanted to return the favor last night. I sat by a lady - she was so sad... pretty soon she was tapping her toes and telling me stories. She touched me on the arm and said - this is the Merriest Christmas I've had in a long time. I believe she meant it. Luella, I know you're out there... I know you exist. You are now around my Christmas tree. Best part of the night? I got to go home with the hottest man in the band... What's around your tree this year? At my house, it's love. Isn't that how it was a long time ago around a manger?
I Do Now
4 days ago



2 comments:
OK...so I bawled through your post! I couldn't agree with you more!! Having the ones you love around you is more important tham anything else!! Love ya Nic! Would love to see the tree pictures!
love your outlook on life! Last week we went caroling to a nursing home as a youth activity. As we went into each room and sang Christmas songs my heart was warmed. Watching the expressions on these sweet elderly's faces brought tears to my eyes!! Made me think of my grandparents that are no longer with me.
Post a Comment