Lovin' the weather - because I just like a bit 'o rain now and then, making everything smell awesome and earthy. Not so much the wind - because my screens are old and they rattle. I also love that I don't feel guilty about not being outside working my earth patches. The tomatoes are turning red, and the raspberries are just incredible this year. I personally dream of and actually pray that.... the raspberry thorns slash through the tomatoes...and they die a slow death. I kinda despise them, except in my chili sauce that will be filling up the house with eye watering yum tomorrow afternoon, during a forcasted rainstorm. Recovery is actually not a word I deal well with - Appendectomy on Saturday 6 AM... home at 2 PM.... back to work and off meds by Monday 3:45 AM... on the Stairmaster by 5:00 PM..... but don't tell anyone ok? But when the body wins over the mind for a few hours I find myself enjoying pulling out some projects (ok - so a freakin' whole bunch of projects that I've brought home from my mom's house to do for her) (I remind mom that they are 'sit down' projects which goes over a little better). Last night I was reading about the Bowen/Hunter side of my father's side of the family. I always thought that the Hill/Murray side of my Mom's family were totally awesome freakish pioneer stock until I read some stories about my dad's family that would make those Hill boys cry like babies. We're off the tomatoes now - but I think that the Hunter bunch would be guilty of being the raspberry thorns - tough Scots as they were.... (probably why the Hills and Bowens are buried in separate towns) In his own words - and most of them left out and misspelled - James Forbes Hunter talked about having to leave his sick wife along the trail to Salt Lake - he had to make a choice of his kids or his wife - they both made the decision to make sure the kids made it. Mary Susanna NollKemper Hunter died along the Mormon trail. A picture of her indicates that her husband would not have been able to make any other choice - here eyes tell the story - she would not have let him. Somewhere inside me I pray that there is a tiny gene of hers still alive and well - actually I hope I had at least 5... one to keep - and 4 to pass on to my kids. In the middle of the night last night, the circus music started in my head like it always does with those from the other side... NollKemper... Nollkemper... Nollkemper.... in perfect rhythm. When I opened my eyes - I could feel her all around me, reminding me that I was well known to her before I came to earth. She taught me things there in heaven, I brought them here to earth, quirks known only to her and I - and I have a boatload of quirks believe me. Strangely enough...... I'm convinced she hated tomatoes. I hope it rains for another week. Nollkemper, Nollkemper, Nollkemper..... (then I watched Paul Blart Mall Cop and ate raspberries....)(quirks)
Happy 26th Valentines Day!
5 months ago



2 comments:
All I got out of that was how shasty mc nasty tomatoes are...
Haha, I'm there with you Ashley. Mom you'd be proud of our lame-o tomatoes. The weather hasn't been sunny enough for them to ripen this year, so we have about 75 tomatoes sitting green on our withering black plants. Fried green tomatoes, anyone?
Post a Comment