My Grandma Elizabeth Hill passed away when my mom was only 15. I never met her - her on earth, but perhaps she was the one that sent me to this earth. My mom has told me many stories of her, and I tell them to my children so they'll know the greatness of their heritage. One story is of my Grandma's never failing trips to the Logan Temple. As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints - we have beautiful Temples, dedicated to the Lord. We are asked to be worthy and to follow certain guidelines to enter those temples. We make covenants and promises there that builds our testimonies of Eternal Live with our families. It isn't easy in this world to live to those standards and sometimes we have to change things about our life to make it right to enter those temples, but it's worth it. The promises there are right and true, enduring and oh so amazing when you are taught by the Spirit how important we are to our Heavenly Father and his son Jesus Christ. Grandma couldn't walk very well - she had arthritis and it was very painful for her to get from place to place. But on Monday mornings she would get up early and put the soup on - bake the bread before the sun came up - and walk to the 'worm' or the train that circled the valley. Then she would spend the entire day in the temple. She never missed, even in subzero temperatures, she made it there and back. Her life was hard, and yet, she knew that when she returned home, all would be made right. She is my inspiration, and my vision. Each week - no week is complete unless I spend time there. It's the only place I feel like I am actually someone. The world has a different view on that I'm sure. I have worked on Family History for 25 years now - always fulfilling - sometimes heartbreaking. 29 years ago I went the the temple for the first time. I was married in the Salt Lake Temple, my daughters were both married there also, my son was married in the Jordan River Temple and come August, my youngest will be sealed in the Oakland Temple. This gave me the blessings of 4 more people to add to those that I love more than life itself, their spouses and spouse to be... I can't think of a greater memory for me than those moments spent in those sacred places. I can't think of anything I've ever done in my life more important than to make sure my children understand the importance of this gift - this rare opportunity in life - to pass on generation to generation to generation.... eternal families. I may have failed at most everything I've tried to do - but this one, is a bingo. So in case you need to be encouraged just a bit, I'll share a thought that was passed on to me this week. It was sent from Mandy - but I'm pretty sure Grandma Elizabeth had something to do with it.
Any takers?



No comments:
Post a Comment