Thursday, June 16, 2011

I'm going to miss this one.... a lot...

From Bethany's Pictures
  1. I fall in love with people easily.  When you meet someone that is visually kind and sweet, and then during a brief conversation you see that what you see on the outside is magnified in their spirit inside, it's bound to happen.  I fell in crazy love with Beverly Mackay several years ago.  She is the Grandmother of my daughter in law Bethany, and the Great Grandma to 2 of my Grandchildren.  In all my years of knowing her - you couldn't have a conversation with her without noticing that she was always smiling.  I don't know how she could talk and smile - but she did.  I know that she's not my direct Gma, but to me she was always Gma Mackay.  I loved it when she would listen to you ramble on and she'd scrunch up her shoulders when she laughed, and then she would return a comment so amazing that you wondered where she pulled it from.  She was always in her big chair, with a TV tray next to her with her mail and her laptop and paper.  Surrounding her in the room were all of the trinkets of her life that remained from her travels.  My Grandson loved her so much that when he had to go to the bathroom... he would do the pee dance, because he wanted to go to the bathroom at Grandma's house!  I loved that story so much when he said it, I hope my bathroom is good enough one day!  When I was told that the cancer in Grandma's body had finally completed all of the damage it could do but take her, I was allowed a brief moment with her last Saturday.  Everyone had left the room for a second and it was just her and I.  I took her hand in mine and I told her that she was truly a treasure to me in many many ways.  I told her that I was so proud of the family she raised, and for the Grand daughter that I call my own.  I thanked her for letting them live with her and for the joy, the safety and the comfort she provided as they finished college.  I told her that I loved her.  She was in total peace with moving on.  She had given so much to this life and now it was time to celebrate, and to wait for all of us to cross over and see her again in her full beauty.  That was last Saturday, and she made that amazing entry into heaven yesterday at 3:00.  I was just getting out of a temple session and I received the text from Bethany.  Well, it was then that I knew who had been in the temple with me that day, busy as she was in heaven, she made sure she said her spiritual goodbyes.  I wanted to hug Bethany and Kathy and hold them tight.  I wished them well, and I prayed for their comfort.  (We kinda just love that Stimpson Family)  But to be able to have the opportunity to say good bye to someone and then have them pass, was such a gift for me.  I've never really had the blessing of doing that.  I've often said that I do not fear death, and to see one go so gracefully, was a great moment in my life.  I don't know who to call now and ask if their refrigerator is running, and then have them laugh all over again as I ask them to go and catch it... I don't know where I can go and just knock and walk right in and visit with an angel.  I don't know who I'll look for in the temple, and be greeted with that beautiful smile.  I'll miss her stories and her insights, and her quiet ways.  Yes, I stole a piece of her and I'm going to keep it with me always, and remember what grace, beauty and sincere Christ like love, is all about.  When my grand kids want to talk about her, I'll have a few stories to tell them.  Take the time today to fall in love with someone like Beverly, and oh how vibrantly rich your life will be.   

3 comments:

Bethany said...

Thanks Mom. She really is a wonderful woman and we all feel blessed to have known her.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing post. Thank you!!! I have adopted your mother Nicole' she is my gma as mine is now in heaven. She gives me the feeling of I am with my gma all the time.

Stimpson Mom said...

That was so sweet. Thanks for loving my mom. But you made me cry again. And I thought today was going to be my second whole day without crying! Oh, well. One of mom's favorite memories was when Matt saw her at the airport as he was leaving for Taiwan on his mission and got in one last hug.