Sunday, June 26, 2011

Thank you Judy Garland

Over the weekend, when I decided that I didn't want to be alone anymore (well that's the excuse I used) (but the real reason was that I love Mendon - and being with my funny funny mom), and since Del was 'business trip traveling', I headed to Mendon.  Mendon is where I grew up and where I will hopefully die and be buried there... but maybe not too soon.  There is Magic in the town - and everyone that goes there knows what I'm talking about.  In Mendon - at night - the stars number in the bazillions, and you can see every constellation perfectly.  The thunderstorms there are right out of a horror movie, where only the shadow shows the man with the raised knife...  (Bwahahahha).  The days are crystal clear, and the mountains surround the entire valley with constant safety from the world.  The gardens there grow mutant crops because the earth is rich and smells like woody leaves.  My son and I planted a garden there where Grandpa used to grow things.  You could feel him there, in each row of corn, and in each growing vine of pumpkin plants.  When I go there I try to help with a few (choke) things to help mom (there is always some dang blasted project!).  My brother and his wife help her out so much, and I am always grateful for them and their kids.  Mom is pretty independent, but seriously forgetful and she tries so hard to accomplish what she's done her entire life, but is struggling immensely with it.  She works in the yard, and it looks beautiful.  I love watching as she is out working, all of the cars that stop and talk to her - she knows everyone and if she doesn't she makes sure she knows their names.  Of course, 5 minutes later she's forgotten them but she can explain all about the person that stops.  I asked my sister in law if we had and squirrel traps - meaning that every time mom goes to do something some squirrel steals her attention and she winds up somewhere else, usually some other place AND time... The neighbors wonder why I yell at her - it's only normal conversation because she can't hear a thing!  (Ok -I do reserve the right to claim "selective listening") Yesterday I said, "Hey mom, let's slick up the house (that's what she always called it) and then we can go outside and finish up the flowers."  I turned on her oldie dusty music - you know - the music that I know every single word because I was raised on it..... and "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" came on and Judy Garland was singing her heart out.  Mom's eyes teared over and I saw the heartache of missing her dancing years so much.  So then and there I dropped everything and we danced.  We turned and dipped and paused like we were movie stars.  We sang out loud, and made up the words along the way.  I think Mom peed a bit when I dipped her the first time.. (:  But for that magical moment in time - she was on the floor with daddy, twirling and wowing the crowd like they always did when they danced.  It was a bit difficult though - we both were leading... and there were a few, ok  a lot, of missed steps.  Dancing in the living room next to the vacuum, pictures of Daddy, Judy Garland, with an 83 year fantastic person with tears in her light blue eyes.... my kind of day.  Thanks Mendon - you always deliver your magic... I love you mom - next time, I lead, and you are wearing a depends.....

http://www.mendonutah.net/

4 comments:

alpinekleins said...

I can see it :) My roommate was a Maughn from Wellsville - and I LOVED that place . . . I think maybe we should head up there for their hometown days parade one of these days :D

((hugs))

Kristin

Eric and Natalie said...

How sweet of you to dance with your mother :)...Love it!...and yes I know what you mean by mendon...we LOVE driving up there even though it only minutes from our house..heck our road takes you there we may as well enjoy it :)
by the way this is natalie :)

Stimpson Mom said...

So glad you took the opportunity to dance with your mom and make a happy memory! You're a good daughter.

Camille said...

I LOVE Mendon! We went up to visit a friend of Wobee's (Ronald Brush)a couple of years ago and I just fell in love with that place. It is so beautiful! I have even looked for houses up there for when we retire.

You are a good daughter. (o: