Friday, March 13, 2009

Spiritual RX

Been an interesting week of contemplation for me. The cough of death was my constant friend 24/and now 7. Del was also traveling this week so it meant being alone. Alone, sick, and plenty of time to think about things. I'm not really good at being alone. I'm not needy, just always have to have light, and noise. This week was difficult in the fact that on a couple of nights I had to rely on someone that I trust the very most in life - it got that scary for me, being sick and all. I had many conversations with the Lord this week. Realizing how much all that I am is because of him - and feeling his sweet spirit of comfort all around me as the hours ticked on, and the never ending nights of coughing and tears. I thought about how he could have been anywhere - comforting anyone - but he stayed with me. I thought about my son - trying so hard to serve his Master, taking all the blows that he gets with dignity, being grateful to just put on his Missionary name tag each day - and bearing testimony of why he does to those that ask. I thought of the endless hours he was comforted in the hospital, the many prayers offered in his behalf, and of the kind people that helped him - and all the time knowing who had sent them his way. It was a week of 'Standing all Amazed' for me - well lying down actually, but still the same. My mom called - even missing a toe (that will be restored to her in the resurrection I reminded her) she was more concerned about someone else than herself - her Christlike ways are the things that the world needs more of. I certainly find myself noticing it more in people though - being kind, trying to serve one another, being more tolerant of our differences - because we all are different. I have a hard time picking another religions apart, realizing that sacred things to them are just that, sacred. In my neighborhood I have Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church, Grace Lutherin Church, and Good Shepherd Church - I have never felt anything but great respect and kindness from all of my friends there. Tonight I listened to my Prophet, President Monson in the latest video about our temples in response to the 'Big Love' situation. With great dignity, he brought beautiful Christian opinions together, and without any harsh response talked sweetly about our temples. I love our temples - they are my place of refuge and peace. 3 of my children have been married in our beautiful temples, and Del and I were married in the Salt Lake Temple 25 years ago. Our church just reported that 650,000 people visited our new Draper Temple, opening our doors to anyone so that they could feel of the sweet spirit that's there. After it's dedicated to the Lord, as a 'House of the Lord' , he will walk the halls and when you go there, you know he has. It's comforting to me to know that after all is said and done, that those that mock the Lord, will be delt with, the Lord's way (because he really did have a purpose for creating lightening bolts). We are to keep our spirits strong, and hope that those investigating the church, those that will meet my son, will want to know the truth about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints - from a member - instead of that which is not true deplicted in Hollywood. This too shall pass and then the next conflict will come, history has a way of repeating itself, but the church goes on always. We are taught in the Book of Mormon about how the great captains prepared their people for battle by first reminding them of their relationship with Heavenly Father - and about the trust that must first be put in him in all things. When the battles raged, men, women and children stood on the Lord's side time and time again victorious. Many mothers send out their Stripling Warriors, we have sent them out with the same battle plans, and we watch them change the world with love. It's been a long week - I'm looking forward to Sunday where I can take an empty cup to be spiritually filled. To thank my best friend, my Savior for spending the week with me, and to recommitt to him ALL of the sacred covenants I've made willingly to him and keep his spirit with me throughout the week. To thank him for his sacrifices made for me. To humbly, put on my armor - to stand as a witness of him. It's been a week - of just 'what the doctor ordered'. Elder Hillary always writes in his letters to me after a tough week, "Mom, I think I see the sun shining just a little bit". Well my sweet son, I believe it's about to shine brightly.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Not that I wish you to be sick but what a wonderful time to think about what matters most. Hope you're well soon.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I think you were in tune. It's been a long month and I need some spiritual medicine! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and testimony! I have realized how important family is and how quick life can be taken from those we love. I lost my grandma a week after LuAnne passed away. Life hasn't slowed down so I haven't even had a chance to really mourn her loss. It hasn't hit me yet. So, thanks for your thoughts! :) You're great.

Jill said...

You have a way with words.....I am touched by all of your comments and want you to know how much I love and respect you. Your family is amazingly beautiful! I miss you!