Mandy is a Music Major at BYU with an emphasis on Saxophone Performance. She is required to have a Jr and a Sr recital. So during the hospital week for Elder Hillary, Mandy had her recital which had been scheduled for 2 months and it had to had happen. Many professors and her private teacher was there to have input and grade her on her performance. She already had to play with a worried heart because of her brother being in the hospital. The day of the performance - Mandy called me at about 3:00 PM, 2 hours before showtime. She was sick - and through her tears on the phone told me that she had a fever and she said that she couldn't do it. I knew what this meant and I also knew that it was time to switch crisis plans. I went over and tried to cool her off, physically and emotionally. I made her sleep for 20 minutes and I stood by her side. Then I woke her up - we put the dress on her fevered body, she pulled her hair up, reapplied her make up over the tears and escorted her to the Madsen center. The heavens opened and the angels stopped their singing to stop and listen to who on earth was making more beautiful music than they were.... it was Mandy. She played nonstop for over an hour, dazzling, making us all cry, and all this time not seeing all of the guardian angels holding her up. Mandy has been a soloist for the Utah Symphony, the BYU Wind Symphony on their East Coast tour and so you might want to watch for her in the near future. Wait - she performs as a soloist in CHINA next! Here are a few shots I was allowed to take since there were no recordings or flash photos allowed I feel fortunate to have these. Beautiful eh? Her accompanist was Jayne Galloway - the best in the state - and she was also accompanied by a string trio - talk about the wow factor!
Here is a picture of Beautiful Lee Lee (Ashley) thanks for all your help Crashem!
The star of the show - The Mandy, and tired, old and wilted mom...
Just when you thought that she could do no more - the next night she performed with the BYU Wind Symphony and she told me that she had a little solo and I might enjoy listening to it - so I took off from the hospital and headed over to hear her. Here was this sea of black tux's and black concert dresses and my beautiful little blonde one stood up in the middle of this sea and she performed the entire song with the symphony accompanining her! Ok - so I'm now on auto cry. This was the stage setting - the place was packed and afterwards I had to wait in line just to see my own daughter - you are amazing Mandy - promise me you'll never let this dream end.



3 comments:
I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! Geez, make me sound like a celebrity! You were the real hero that day - I would have never made it to that recital if it wasn't for you rescuing me.
OK, so you both made me cry. You both (and LeeLee) are amazing...and I love you all.
Umm...I thought Mandy-Lou was going to Japan... Either way we're making her eat sushi before she goes (and we'll record it just like we did when she got her ears pierced...good times...).
Mandy - you are incredible. Words can't describe how beautiful you performed that night! Like I tell everyone - my little sister is the most pathetically talented blonde saxophonist ever! I love you!
Post a Comment