Monday, November 24, 2008

24 of 30: The need for speed

While some people were knocking each other around a silly football field - some other athletes were running their hearts out at the NCAA Cross Country Nationals. BYU came in 9th in the nation with Kyle Perry taking top honors for the team. Just so happens that another person scoring his personal best and adding points to the team was my son in law Ryan. Their team motto this year was "Juntos" which means together - and they are an amazing group of incredible athletes. It was fun for Mandy because the wives were able to travel with the team to cheer their husbands on at nationals. She thoroughly enjoyed the coaches wife and found her to be so much fun. It was wonderful for Mandy to see her husband put to the test that which he trains relentlessly for every single day. The very first time I met Ryan he was in Mandy's kitchen at Hellitage Hall - he was all dressed up in his BYU running gear and it must have been 20 below - it didn't stop him from running and running and running. You couldn't miss his big blue eyes peeking out from underneath his hat. Not only was it the first time I had met Ryan - it was also the day that I looked over at Del and said - I think Mandy is going to marry this guy! Ryan's smile is as big as his heart - he loves Mandy with all his might (and some day's I'm certain it takes a lot of that) and I love to watch him look at her. Sometimes it's because he's in shock because she's such a nut - but mostly it's because he has such a sweet love for her. I told him before he even ran that we were already proud of him in every way - and now we have even more reason to cheer louder. Congratulations Ryan - a job well done deserves a huge turkey dinner - gotta fatten you up now.... By the way - I didn't hear that the UTES made nationals did any of you? ....and there you go!

4 comments:

Jen said...

You are so awesome to have kept up your blogging everyday! I looked and it had been a month since I last posted so I thought I better get on the ball.

Jen O

Darci said...

I HATE running and do not understand anyone who does it for fun.

pitbull said...

Way to go, Ryan! (How DO you stand your mother-in-law?)

Fear not, Nic....the Utes will soon have a National Title!

Mandy | Baking with Blondie said...

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
I love this! Thank you bob for this post - really nice :) I think I'll keep him eh? What time do you want us on Thurs? ----gotta find that phone.....